Selected Descriptive Experience Sampling Book Reviews
Journal of Consciousness Studies review
Journal of Phenomenological Psychology review
Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews
Philosophical Psychology review
TLS (Times Literary Supplement) review
Journal Of Scientific Exploration review
Metaspsychology Online Reviews
Philosophy in Review
Psychology Today Blogs
Teaching Introductory Statistics
Statistical reasoning is one of the modern educated person's fundamental skills: scientific, economic, political, and everyday decisions almost always rest on a statistical foundation. I've written the textbook Comprehending Behavioral Statistics (in its fifth edition for Fall, 2012) to provide an honest comprehension of this important material, making statistical concepts readily accessible without sacrificing statistical correctness.
Comprehending Behavioral Statistics is noted especially for two innovations not found in any other textbook: eyeball estimation and progressive cumulative review.
The Personal Trainer CD complements Comprehending Behavioral Statistics. Personal Trainer is a potent learning-tool package with five main features:
- Eyeball-estimation techniques enable you to predict, without the use of a calculator or statistical tables, the approximate magnitude of statistics. Then computation confirms your eyeball-estimate. Eyeball estimation brings students in contact with their data and visually demonstrates the connections between data and statistics. It's quick, useful, and besides that, it's fun.
- Progressive cumulative review gives you the chance to exercise one of the most important skills in statistics, determining what statistical procedure is appropriate for this situation. In most texts, students already know what procedure to apply by the chapter they happen to be in. Progressive cumulative review gives you practice in that discrimination.
- Lectlets--short, interactive, audio/visual lectures. You hear me talking to you about all the concepts in the course. I ask you questions. You type your responses on the computer screen, and I provide immediate feedback.
- ESTAT--explorational and computational software. For example, ESTAT will present a scatterplot with a line drawn through it. You grab the line with the mouse and move it around until it best fits the scatterplot. That's your eyeball-estimate of the regression line. Then ESTAT will give you immediate feedback on how well you did. It's a potent learning device that masquerades as a game.
- Interactive algebra review--a quick interactive brush-up on the algebra concepts necessary for comprehending statistics.
- Supplementary Resources--amplifications of the material in the textbook. These Resources are seamless (same author, same notation, same look and feel) extensions that can be read on the computer screen or printed if desired.
- QuizMaster--interactive review of all the concepts in the textbook.
Comprehending Behavioral Statistics
The fifth edition
Comprehending Behavioral Statistics has moved to Kendall Hunt Publishing Company for its fifth edition. Kendall Hunt hosts an entirely online version of Personal Trainer 5, so that the ESTAT, the lectlets, and the other Personal Trainer materials are available wherever the student has access to the Internet.
Personal Trainer 5 includes an entirely new set of interactive laboratories, one for each chapter, that give students guided practice on statistical concepts.
The ISBN is 978-1-4652-0178-2.
I have worked hard to make Comprehending Behavioral Statistics and Personal Trainer error free, but it is a big project and errors occur. I maintain an up-to-date errata site to minimize the impact.
Send e-mail to Dr. Hurlburt